How To pomegranate farming step by step
Contents in this Post
- Production of planting Material
- Nutrient for pomegranate
- Water Management
- Diseases in plant
- Harvest Management
Pomegranate established base on suitable site, Climatic condition, Soil type and considering other production factors.
- Site selection & Climate and Soil:
Drained land are required with moderate slope. Aired and Semi-aired and low annual rainfall of 18-55 cm with long, hot and dry summer and mild winter in suitable for good production.
Soil having PH below 8.5 is good but under well Management condition, it can be grown in wide range of soils.
- Farm Plan:
A cross road and paths is essential for efficient movement of workers and machinery. Water and electricity supply adequate. Keep fencing and wind break arrangements around the farm.
- Pit and Filling:
Dug pit of 1m × 1m × 1m or 0.75 m × 0.75m × 0.75m size depend on soil condition. kept open at least 1 month, Drench pits with 0.1% Carbendazim 4-5 1 solution/pit.
Initially fill 50% of pits with soil and fill the following mixture.
- Time of Planting:
During spring season February to March and other option is July to August Depending on water irrigation.
4.5m × 3.0m its good scale for growing you can planting 740 tree/ha.
other spacing scale is 5m × 5m growing 500tree/ha.
Bhagawa , Ganesh , Maridula , Ruby , Phule arkta , Jyoty. etc..
Young plant take 2 to 3 months for proper growing condition. provide regular irrigation , weeding , hoeing , training , pumping.
Production of planting Material
Production of Pomegranate plan is two technique
- Air Layering:
In major growing area of pomegranate in India, Air layered plants are used for pomegranate plantation.
The upright branch of plant diameter are 2-3 cm an in length and rooting hormone 2000-3000 ppm IBA is applied on upper part of the cut. The girdled stem are wrapped with sphagnum moss and covered with small polythene strip. Well rooted layers are detached from the mother plants from the lower girdle within 75-90 days and planted in nursery or kept in polythene bag or pot for planting. good in time is June-August.
- Stem Cutting :
Multiplication of pomegranate by hardwood cutting in common practice in major parts of the world. Cutting can be propagated round the year using pruned wood under polyhouses. Cutting can be acid sulphate 90% + Tetracycline 10% at 500 mg/l and Carbendazim @ 1.0 g/l before planting to ensure production of good planting material.
Nutrient for pomegranate
Recommended nutrient Dose for pomegranate in below table
|Age of Tree||FYM||N||P205||K20|
|5 & above||40||625||250||250|
Water to be giving (Lit/day/tree) in Ambia bahar
|Age of Plant|
Water to be giving (Lit/day/tree) in Mrig bahar
|Age of Plant|
Water to be giving (Lit/day/tree) in Hast bahar
|Age of Plant|
Diseases in plant
- Blackish brown spots due to bacterial blight infection seen in traces on any plant part.
- Blackish brown spots on fruit with or without splitting due to bacterial blight infection and stem infections around the nodes.
- Yellowing , drooping , drying of one or more branches in a tree or trees.
Fungal Fruit Spots and rots
- Different shape, color and size of spots on fruit and rotting generally from calyx/stem end.
- Leaf curling , tender tip drying, scrapping marks on buds, flowers and fruits due to thrips.
- Bored holes on buds , flowers and fruits due to fruit borer.
Fruit Sucking Moth
- Fruit sucking moths remains active from August to October and only attecks the fruits of Mrig bahar crop during night.
Storing , Grading , and Packaging of fruits:
The on farm storing is carried out for separation of fruits with grad.
|Super Size||Attractive , very large , Dark red, w>750g|
|King Size||Attractive , large , w>500g|
|Queen Size||Attractive , large , w>400g|
|Prince Size||Large , light red , w>300g|
|12A||1-2 spot , w> 200g|
|12B||2-4 spot , w< 250g|
- Graded fruit are to be cleaned with muslin cloth, top grade fruits are individually wrapped in tissue paper or plastic liner.