Contents in this Post
- Mosambi Cultivation
- Mosambi Grown Areas In India:-
- Nutritive and Medical Value of Mosambi:-
- How Can Grow…?
- Varieties of Mosambi in India:
- Growing Requirement in Mosambi cultivation :
- Suitable soil/Land Preparation for Mosambi Cultivation:
- Best Planting season:
- Spacing Between Plants:
- Fertilizers and Nutrition requirements:
- Water supply/Irrigation:
- Disease in Mosambi Cultivation:
- Mosambi Cultivation is most common among citrus fruits grown in India. It occupies nearly 40% of the total area under fruits grown in India. It is rich in vitamin C, A, B and phosphorus.
- Orange is consuming fresh or in the form of juice, jam, squash and syrup. It is main source of peel olive, citric acid and cosmetics which have international market value.
- Nagpur mandarin is one of the best orange in the world.
Mosambi Grown Areas In India:-
- In India it is generally cultivate in Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Assam, Orissa, West Bengal, Rajasthan, Nagaland, Mizoram, and Arunachal Pradesh.
- In Mosambi 64% of Vitamin C, 4% of Potassium, 5% of Vitamin B6, 3% of Magnesium, 0.94 grams of Protein, 0.12 grams Fat, 2.4 grams of Fiber and 86.75 grams of water.
- By Consuming 1 half to 1 liter of Mosambi Juice every day, increases the excretion of ph value and citric acid, there by dropping the risk of forming calcium oxalate stones. And also reduced risk of colon cancer.
- Rich fiber in the fruit helps to prevent atherosclerosis and Protection against Rheumatoid Arthritis.
How Can Grow…?
- Land should be plough in a cross manner to soften the upper surface.
- The pits of 60 cm * 60 cm* 60 cm size should be dug.
- They are fill with 15-20kg farmyard manure in India.
- A planting distance of 6m from plant to plant and 6m from row to row is generally follow in square system of planting.
- However planting distance as well as planting density depends upon the cultivar, rootstock use and agro climatic conditions.
Varieties of Mosambi in India:
- Sweet Orange varieties cultivate in different states of India are Jaffa, Hamlin, Nagpur Santra, Kara and Kinnow mandarin.
Growing Requirement in Mosambi cultivation :
- Mosambi grows in all frost free tropical and sub-tropical regions up to 1,500 m above m.s.l.
- An annual rainfall of 100-120 cm. and temperature ranging from 10-35 C is suitable for Mosambi fruit Farming.
- Under warmer conditions, the colour development is poor; however excellent deep orange colour of the skin develops when grown under subtropical conditions.
- Quality is very good under dry semi-arid conditions, while under humid conditions fruits insipid.
Suitable soil/Land Preparation for Mosambi Cultivation:
- Orange are grown in a wide range of soils ranging from sandy loam or alluvial soils of north India to clay loam or deep clay loam or acidic soils in the Deccan plateau and north-eastern hills.
- Citrus orchards flourish well in light soils with good drainage properties.
- Deep soils with ph range of 5 to 7 are ideal. And it is also grow up in a ph range of 4 to 9.
- High calcium carbonate concentration in feeder root zone may adversely affect the growth.
- Note that please check soil test before getting into Mosambi Cultivation.
- Land needs to be thoroughly ploughed and level.
- In hilly areas, planting is done on terraces against the slops and lands, but high density planting is done by flat lands.
- Mosambi trees are highly sensitive to water logging and water stagnation during rainy season providing drainage channels of 3-4 feet depth along the slops are must require.
Best Planting season:
- Mosambi tree is produce by seed and also vegetative produce by T-budding.
- Seedlings are mostly transplant in the month of July-August after commencement of monsoon.
- Budding should properly be done in last week of January or First week of February following the T budding method.
Spacing Between Plants:
- Mosambi Tree are usually planted in pits of 50 cm* 50 cm* 50 cm size in square system with a spacing of 4.5meter to 6 meter accommodating 350-450 plants/ha.
- In north-eastern of India, Orange fruit are place very closely, so accommodating more than 500 plants/ha.
- A spacing of 6cm * 6cm accommodating 120 plants/acre has been getting.
Fertilizers and Nutrition requirements:
- Fertilizer dose apply 1St Year age of plant is 150 grams of N, 50 grams of P, 25 grams of K as well as this quantity is different before age of planting are growing.
- The fertilizer dose apply 2nd Year age of plant is 300 grams of N, 100 grams of P, 50 grams of K.
- Apply 3rd year age of plant is 450 grams of N, 150 grams of P, 75 grams of K and above 4 years of age 600 grams of N, 200 grams of P and 100 grams of K.
- Third of the recommend dose of nitrogen should be apply through organic manures like FYM, cakes etc.
- Mosambi tree is requiring critical stage watering in the initial year. Otherwise it reduces fruit drop and increases the fruit size.
- Light irrigation with high frequency is use.
- Irrigation water containing more than 1000 ppm salts is injurious.
- Quantity of water and frequency of irrigation depends on the soil texture and growth stage.
- A micro irrigation system not only saves water and nutrients but also ensure good retention of fruits during critical stages of crop growth of orange tree.
- Water requirement of citrus trees is generally higher than most of the other sub-tropical fruits due to recurrent growth and development.
- The water requirement varies from 900-1100 mm, per year depending upon the location.
Disease in Mosambi Cultivation:
- Twig Blight
- Damping off
- Collar rot
Inter-cropping in Mosambi Cultivation :
- Inter-cropping is apply during the 3-4 years after planting.
- There are two main crops in mandarins and sweet orange.
- One is call as mango flowering the flowering of which occurs in the month of January the fruits of which are available in the months of October-December.
- The other crop is Monsoon bloom the flowering of occurs in the month of June-July and fruits are harvest during February-April.
- Mostly fruits are normally arriving 9-12 months. And Fruits at color break stage are pick up in 2-3 intervals of 10-15 days.