Cucumber Disease and Solution
Cucumber diseases control
Contents in this Post
- Cucumber diseases control
- Cucumber diseases management
- cucumber plant diseases treatment
- cucumber diseases identification
- Cucumber belongs to Cucurbitaceous family and Cucumber is an important summer vegetable crop cultivated throughout India.
- Cucumbers are high in water and low in calories, fat, cholesterol and sodium.
- Cucumber plant has a climbing or trailing habit.
- The tender cucumber can be eaten raw or with salt in salad.
- Cucumber is also used in daily cooking’s And Cucumber seeds can be used in oil extraction.
- Cucumbers can be grown in greenhouse, polyhouse and in hydroponic system as well.
cucumber diseases and pests photos
- Cucumber varieties cultivated in different states of Kakdi, Sasha, Keera Doskaya, Savatekai, Sausha.
Major Disease in Cucumber farming:
- Downy Mildew
- Cucumber Mosaic Virus
- Cucumber Beetles
- Bacterial Wilt
- Powdery Mildew
Cucumber diseases management
Downy Mildew In cuvumber:
- Optimal Conditions for Pseudoperonospora cubenis are cool nights between 55-75F and relative humidity >95.
- All cucurbits are susceptible to this fungus but yield losses are most common in cucumbers.
- Initial lesions, which are limited by the small leaf veins, include irregular to angular, pale green spots which appear on the upper side of leaves near the plant crown.
- The lesions then turn into yellow angular spots.
- The underside of leaves later develops a downy white to gray mold, which may turn gray to purple during wet weather.
- Plant stunting and poor fruit growth results under heavy disease pressure.
- The disease can be prevented with weekly fungicide treatments.
- Sprays are less effective once the disease has appeared in the field.
- Are-wide monitoring programs exist in other states in which weather is monitored and growers are warned to start their spray programs when the weather is conductive to downy mildew outbreak.
cucumber plant diseases treatment
Cucumber Mosaic Virus:
- This type of cucumber disease affects the flower, leaf, stem and growth of the plant.
- When the infection strikes, it may lead to the formation of prominent foliar yellow mosaic, severe plant stunting, malformation, and reduction of leaf size, downward leaf curling and more.
- The flowers may show signs of prominent abnormalities.
- This disease is very common and this virus is transmitted from one plant to another by various kinds of aphids.
- Mosaic disease can be managed by controlling the presence of cucumber beetles and aphids throughout the season.
- Control perennial weeds to prevent the disease from occurring. On the other hand, you may also use insecticides and mineral oils.
cucumber diseases identification
- Cucumber Beetles are known for their black and yellow stripes.
- While some of them are spotted.
- These insects chew small holes in the Fruits flowers or leaves.
- They usually carry wilt disease and love to suck on young seedlings.
- Aside from this, the larvae of these pesky insects feed on the roots.
- One thing you can do with Cucumber Beetles is pick them by hand.
- They move slowly during the morning or evening.
- To kill them, prepare a cup of soapy water and drop them.
- On the other hand, keep the bugs at bay by applying pesticides.
- Once the seedlings blossom, stop spraying for cucumber beetles to allow bees to start pollinating the plants.
- The cucumber Beetle is a small insect, yellow in colour with either black stripes or spots on its back.
- It carries the bacteria that cause bacterial wilt disease, injecting the bacteria into the plant as it feeds.
- The plants leaves wilt, the vines wither, and within a brief the plant dies.
- Unfortunately, there is no treatment when a plant is infected.
- If you suspect a plant suffers from bacterial wilt, cut a wilting stem near the base and place in a glass of water.
- If you see milky-looking strands emerge from the cut, the plant is infected, and should be removed from the garden or farm.
Powdery Mildew in Cucumber:
- It is one of the most common diseases in
- Powdery mildew shows signs of white powdery substance encompassing the whole leaves of the plant.
- Usually, it begins in little spots then scatters throughout the leaves.
- This fungal disease may cause poor growth of the fruits specifically if the infection is severe.
- The leaves of the cucumber begin to wither and then fall off prematurely.
- Overhead watering and poor air circulation can contribute to such problem.
- The use of fungicidal sprays can help and other to avoid wetting leaves and use underground or surface watering method.
- If you plants are infected with powdery mildew, spraying with neem oil can prevent the disease from spreading.
- Make sure that not to spray in the heat of the day.
Anthracnose in Cucumber:
- A Fungus, anthracnose infests cucumber plants during warm, wet weather.
- Small, yellowish spots appear on the leaves and turn brown.
- Brown streaking develops along the steams.
- Any fruit present may develop a pinkish, oozing bruise. this bruising is actually anthracnose spores.
- At the first signs of anthracnose apply a fungicide spray containing binomial and chlorothalonil.
- This may stop the spread of the fungus on the plants.
- The fungus, though, spreads rapidly and is resilient.
- If the spots on the leaves have already deteriorated and streaking is evident, pull the plant from the farm and dispose of poroperly.
Please follow and like us: