Contents in this Post
- Avocado Farming
- Avocados are an ancient fruits and origin at from America and Mexico.
- These fruits are commonly calling “Butter Fruits” in India.
- Avocado is the most nutritive among fruits.
- The pulp is rich in proteins and fat but low in carbohydrates.
- Commercial cultivation of avocados is limited in India and mainly south Indian states produce avocados.
- They are use in salads and sandwich fillings. Also use of fresh fruit.
Grown Areas In India:-
- Avocado farming is limiting cultivar in Indian states.
- Most off production of Avocado in Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Maharashtra and Karnataka.
- Sikkim is the only north eastern state where avocados are grown.
Nutritive and Medical Value:-
- Avocados are healthy for heart. And are good for vision.
- Avocados may help in fighting against cancer.
- It is good for pregnant women.
- It is use of weight loss.
- Also use of lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
How Can Grow…?
- Avocado is propagating through seed in India.
- Generally, the avocado viability of seed can be increase store the seed in sand 5 C store the seed in dry peat.
- Mature seed apply direct sowing on nursery beds or polyethylene begs.
- After grow seed for six months in nursery can be transplant to the main field.
Varieties of Avocado in India:
- West Indian race, Guatemalan race and Mexican race are main varieties in India.
- Other some varieties in India are Green, Round, Purple Hybrid, Trapp and Long.
- Avocado plants are grown in the temperature range 17 c to 27 c during complete grow period.
- Not need to cool atmosphere during its complete production.
- Please make sure last temperature is 14 C for healthy growth of plants.
- This fruit plants also requires a highly humid condition between Flowering stage and fruit setting stage.
- Also note that Avoid water stress between flowering stage and fruit setting stage.
Suitable soil/Land Preparation:
- Avocado plants are grown in tropical and semi tropical both high water temperature areas.
- It is not allow hot dry winds and frost.
- They do well in true tropical to warmer parts of the temperate area.
- These fruits can be grown on wide variety of soils except on poorly drain soils as these plants are very sensitive to water logging.
- Avoid the saline soils as these plants cannot allow saline conditions.
- The optimum soil ph range is between 5 to 7.0 for better growth and yield.
Best Planting season:
- Avocado cultivation to plant in the begin of monsoon season for the faster and proper build of seedlings in the crop.
- Also note that never plant a new avocado plant is a place where an aged plant.
Spacing Between Plants:
- Generally a spacing of 10 * 10 meter to 12 * 12 meters is good for commercials avocado cultivation.
- Use this spacing easily plant trees grow. And 100 tress plants per hectare land.
- Less production when use of 12*6m, 8*4m, 10&5m for use of high production of fruits.
- In Sikkim a distance of 10m * 10 m is prefer in June to July period on hill places.
Fertilizers and Nutrition requirements:
- Avocado crop responds very well to the heavy manuring, containing Nitrogen as major organic matter content.
- Nitrogen, phosphorous, and Potash should be apply to the new appear seed in equal portion to the grown and older plants.
- Fertilizers should be applying to the ratio 2:1:2.
- Application of manure and fertilizers totally depend on soil fertility.
- Water applies after the plantation carried out for good establish of plants.
- Irrigation should be done at a regular interval such as irrigating at 3 or 4 weeks.
- In Hot and Dry season more require to irrigation. So be done at an interval of 2 to3 weeks.
- To avoid moisture stress, mulching done in the cold season.
- Mulching is using of cover the plants with dry leaves and grass.
- Rainy season there is no need for irrigation on plants.
- Drip irrigation is best for avocado farming. Because in avocado plants is very sensitive to water problems.
- Root Rot.
- Bacterial Soft Rot.
- Black Rot.
- Phytophthora Root Rot.
- Stem End Rot.
- Pepper Spot.
- Intercropping in avocado farming is possible for extra income.
- Avocado plants grown completely in 10 years.
- Now, some commercial varieties are stand up to fruits in 4 to 5 year of plantation.
- You will be proper time harvesting taken out so higher fruit production is available.
- There are two varieties of avocado. 1.Purple and 2.Green.
- The purple variety change colour from purple to maroon day by day.
- The green change to colour from green to yellow day by day.
- Start harvesting when change from yellow-white to dark brown colour of fruit.
- After harvesting it is fresh for 10 days.
Please follow and like us: