Apple Farming Detailed Study
Contents in this Post
- Apple Farming Detailed Study
- Grown Areas of Apple :-
- Nutritive and Medical Value of Apple:-
- How Apple Farming ?
- Varieties of Apple Cultivated in India
- Growing Requirement
- Best soil for apple trees:
- Best Apple tree Planting season:
- Spacing Between Plants:
- Fertilizers and Nutrition requirements:
- Water supply/Irrigation:
- Disease in Apple Farming:
- Apple Framing is the oldest and commercially the most important temperate fruit and is fourth among the most widely produce fruits in the world after orange, banana, and grape. Apple lots of health benefits of eating apples, because of which an apple a day is suggest by numbers of people. Apple trees are a deciduous tree, reaching a height of 18 feet tallness. However, the wild apples can grow up to more than 35 feet tallness. It is easy to maintain the shape and the size of an apple by selecting good rootstock and performing trimming of the apple tree. All like other commercial farming. Agro climatic condition, soil fertility and good orchard management skills are the key factors, which directly impact on the fruit production of apple cultivation.
Grown Areas of Apple :-
- In India it is mostly grown in Kashmir, hills of Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh.
- In Apple farming cultivation also extended to Nagaland, Sikkiam, Arunachal Pradesh, and Meghalaya.
- Apple contains Copper and Vitamin C, Which is good for skin health.
- As green Apple contain a higher level of minerals, vitamins, proteins, and fiber among them all.
- Apples aid in brain health.
- Apples reduce the risk of stroke or heart disease. Eating apples may reduce risk for Type-2Diabetes.
- Apples have a number of properties that can help reduce the risk of cancer.
How Apple Farming ?
- Generally, Apples propagate with the help of tongue grafting and budding methods.
- Collect various seeds from unmarked ripe apple. Fold these collect seeds inside moistened bedding like a paper towel.
- Then after, stores prepare plastic bags into a cooler drawer of freezer for about 30 to 50 days to chill stratify to breaks their regular dormancy.
- Then after, prepare a pot for individual apple seeds. Prepare that pot for good germination by providing good moisture content and essential organic matter.
- So these chilled seeds those prepared pots for germination. When seedling appears, move your pot to the sunny and open area so that it can grow well.
- Water it regularly for good development of Apple plant.
Varieties of Apple Cultivated in India
- All over the world, there are about more than 7500 cultivar or varieties of the apple that are grown as commercial apple farming.
- However, Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Northern Spy, Cortland, Winesap, Pink Lady, Empire, Macoun, Gala, Ida Red, Fuji are some most popular apple varieties that are grown as commercial apple farming.
- Agro climatic condition surrounding your apple farm is a key factor, that impacts the growth and development of your apples and also on the production.
- Apple plants are tedious in nature that requires about more than 1000 chilling hours, below 7 C for the best growth and higher production of fruits.
- However, this may vary depending on the apples varieties or cultivar.
- Growing apples, up to 2500 mean sea level height is supposed to be beneficial for earning good profit.
- An apple orchard requires an avg. temp of 20 to 26 C during y the growth development period along with 100 to 120 cm annual rainfall.
- It is notable that fog or heavy rainfall during fruit maturity period is the main cause of improper fruit growth.
Best soil for apple trees:
- Apple cultivation is suitable in loamy soils with rich in organic matter and ph range of 5.5-6.5.
- Soil should not have water logging and soil with good drainage is ideal for apple farming.
- It is a good thing to go for at least one soil test test to find out the suitability and soil fertility for apple farming.
- It will also help you in determining any deficiency of micronutrients in your soil if present.
- So that, you can supplement them at the time of land preparation for obtaining higher fruit production.
- For commercial apple farming, cultivate apples on well-drained soil with decent layout proposed.Weeds from the preceding crop should be remove, if present.
Best Apple tree Planting season:
- Hexagonal Square system of plantation is followed in the valleys whereas contour method is normally followed on the slopes.
- Apple plantation of pollinator species in between the main species is require for proper apple fruit setting.
- For establishment of Royal Delicious variety, plantation of Golden Delicious and Red Delicious as pollinators is recommend by the Horticulture Department.
- Dig pits of size 1 m * 1 m* 1 m are prepare for planting October to November month.
- In each pit, 30 kg to 40 kg of farm yard manure, 500 grams of Single super phosphate and 50 grams of Malathion dust are added after mixing properly. Follow one irrigation immediately after plantation.
Spacing Between Plants:
- Spacing in your apple orchard is mainly depend on the apple varieties and planting method,used for the cultivation.
- By planting apple trees keeping a proper distance between them, it is able to plant about 300 to 1200 no’s o With the help of Ultra high density method of planting, about 1200 apple plants per hectare can be cultivate.
- With the help of high density method of planting, about 600 to 1200 apple plants per hectare can be cultivate.
- With the help of low density method of planting, about 300 apple plants per hectare can be cultivate.
- With the help of moderate density method of planting, about 300 to 600 apple plants per hectare can be cultivate.
Fertilizers and Nutrition requirements:
- Farm Yard Manure(FMY) at 10 kg per year age of tree is apply along with other fertilizers.
- The ratio of K, P, and N which is apply in an orchard of optimal fertility is 70:35:70 grams per year (age of the tree.)
- After 10 years of tree age, the dose should be stabilized at 700:350:700 grams of K,P, and N per year.( When the crop load is low) is 400 grams.
- 250 grams and 500 grams respectively. For deficiency of boron, zinc, manganese and calcium use appropriate application of fertilizer.
- An Apple tree requires about 120 cm rainfall per annum. So, provide this much of water is beneficial more production of apples.
- Give water in your apple orchard on a schedule, about 20 irrigation per year.
- Water frequently in the summer season, it should be given at an interval of a week whereas, in winter, irrigation should be carried out at intervals of three to four weeks or even more.
- A grown apple tree requires about 10 inches of water per day, when the soil is dry and temp is hot (in summer) while it requires about 4 to 5 inches of water per day when the soil is not too dry (in winter).
- Drip irrigation system is best for your ideal to apple farming.
Disease in Apple Farming:
- Turning Brown and Curling
- Curling Up
- Cedar Apple Rust
- Rosy Apple Aphid
- Apple tree may be different types of crop systems. You can inter-crop suitable to your location.
- Generally, An apple orchard fruits bear after about 7 to 8 years of plantation.
- However, it is mainly deepen on the variety of apple, use for cultivation.
- Generally, an apple tree gives fruit for about more than 35 years.
- sincrease up to 15 years. There after, this production will remain stable for about 35 years.
- Picking apple should be carried out before the fruit get to ripen on the process of picking apples is time-consume and also tough enough as there is more need to laborious work.
Please follow and like us: